Current time in Korea 11:52 Oct 22 (Sun) Year 2017 KCS KCS Publications
KCS Publications
My Journal Log In Register
HOME > Search > Browsing(BKCS) > Archives

Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society (BKCS)

ISSN 0253-2964(Print)
ISSN 1229-5949(Online)
Volume 34, Number 3
BKCSDE 34(3)
March 20, 2013 

 
Title
Simulating the 3.4-Micron Feature of Titan’s Haze
Author
Y. S. Kim, C. Ennis, Sang Joon Kim*
Keywords
Laboratory spectroscopy, Infrared, Astrochemistry, Cosmic rays, Solar system
Abstract
Four prominent features of Titan’s haze are found within the ‘3.4-μm’ absorption to be uniform with recent vertically resolved Cassini/VIMS spectra.1 These are absorptions at 2998 cm−1 (3.34 μm), 2968 cm−1 (3.37 μm), 2927 cm−1 (3.42 μm), and 2882 cm−1 (3.47 μm). A detailed fitting suggests that the 2998 cm−1 feature could originate from amorphous acetonitrile (CH3CN) carrying about 25% of integrated optical depth; the remaining features, which account for 75% of the integrated optical depth, could arise from a distinct triplet (C-H stretching) structure of radiolyzed hydrocarbons. An additional feature was possibly evidenced at altitudes higher than 300 km and attributable to ‘polymer-capped’ methane (CH4), significantly constraining the chemical composition of organic haze layers under Titan’s active radiation field.
Page
759 - 762
Full Text
PDF